Monday, June 1, 2020

A Whole Lot Of Nope

In light of recent outrages, there are a lot of people posting bloodthirsty things on social media. If you post bloodthirsty things, I want you to know I don't stand with you on that. I may agree with your underlying cause(s) and reason(s). But I don't want people to be killed.

I don't want looters to be killed.
I don't want protesters to be killed.
I don't want suspects to be killed.
I don't want curfew-violators to be killed.
I don't want civilians to be killed by cops.
I don't want cops to be killed by civilians.
I don't want politicians killed.
I don't want community leaders to be killed.
I don't want bystanders to be killed.

I'm not claiming that all of these things are equivalent. The only equivalence is that I want all these people to go home at night, and justice to be accomplished without bloodshed. I'm not suggesting outrage is unfounded. I'm not saying nothing should be done.

I will suggest that if escalation and bloodthirst were really the answer, they probably would have worked by now.

No comments: