Monday, March 23, 2009

New Upgrade

Today we had a little upgrade to our internet access. We went ahead and moved from Vonage to Comcast for phone service, and included in the upgrade were a few cable channels and a boost in bandwidth. Channels: who cares. Bandwidth boost: yeee-haw!

I'm now 80% faster on downloads, and nearly 5x on the upload. I had an afternoon's worth of remote pairing with WebEx and Skype, and it went pretty well indeed. I'm sure it was just the emotional optimism on my part, but I like to think that the audio and video were smoother and that I had less lag with the keyboard.

I still have lag, and sometimes when my partner is refactoring the screen refreshes too slowly and I miss what he's done. Sadly, whomever is on the "hosting" side of things gets to do any work that has a lot of edits in a lot of places.

Some funny stuff, though. A change we thought was the "easy bit" took most of the day, and the ugly-seeming part took almost no time at all. I learned some new tricks. One trick was the 'introduce parameter' being cooler than I thought in Resharper (great job, JetBrains) and the other I'll blog separately.

It was a good day generally. We ranged around the code further than we expected, but left it in better condition. And our merges went really smoothly. It's not all that it could possibly be, but classes are shaping up quickly and we're cleaning like a white tornado. Watch that unit test count and test coverage rise!!

Now if we only can just get that feature done...